GOD55 sports logo GOD55 Sports sponsor Honda LCR
Brazil’s Squad Buzz Builds as Neymar Stays in Contention

Brazil’s Squad Buzz Builds as Neymar Stays in Contention

Arthur Jones
Arthur Jones
Published: May 11, 2026

Brazil head coach Carlo Ancelotti has submitted his provisional 55-man squad for the 2026 World Cup to FIFA, offering a massive hint regarding the fitness and standing of several key Selecao stars. While the return of Neymar provides a morale boost, the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) has simultaneously delivered a blow to the injured Estevao Willian, who was left omitted from the list.

Neymar Given Lifeline as Brazil Final Squad Decision Nears

Brazil’s World Cup squad debate has taken another dramatic turn, with Neymar earning a place in the provisional list despite ongoing doubts over whether he will make the final cut. The veteran forward remains a major talking point under Carlo Ancelotti, who has made it clear that only fully fit players will be selected, leaving the country waiting to see if its biggest star will get one last shot on the global stage.

Key Points for Brazil's World Cup Squad:

  • Neymar has been included in Brazil’s provisional squad list, but his place in the final 26-man group is still uncertain.
  • Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva reportedly discussed Neymar’s selection directly with Carlo Ancelotti.
  • Estêvão Willian is expected to miss the tournament due to injury, despite delaying surgery to try to recover.
  • Brazil’s final squad will be officially announced on May 18 ahead of their opener against Morocco national football team on June 13.

Neymar Keeps Brazil Dream Alive

According to Globo, Neymar has once again been named in Brazil’s preliminary squad list submitted to FIFA, continuing a familiar pattern under Carlo Ancelotti where the forward makes the extended selection but does not always survive the final cut. At 34, Neymar has been pushing hard to prove he deserves a spot, even as Ancelotti previously insisted he would "will only call up players who are physically ready" to compete. While his inclusion in the final 26-man squad remains uncertain, his presence on the provisional list has reignited hope among Brazilian fans eager to see their talisman return on the biggest stage.

The discussion over Neymar’s future has become so intense that it reached the highest political circles in Brazil. Ancelotti reportedly even consulted Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who openly questioned whether Neymar still has the motivation required to perform at the top level. Addressing the matter, Lula said: "I had the chance to speak with Ancelotti, and he asked me: 'Do you think Neymar should be called up?' I said: 'Look, Ancelotti, if he’s physically fit, he’s got the football. What I need to know is whether he actually wants it.' If he does, then he has to be professional. He can look at someone like Cristiano Ronaldo, he can look at [Lionel] Messi, and still go to the national team, because he’s not old yet. But he can’t expect to go just on his name. He has to earn it on the pitch."

Injury Blow for Estêvao

While Neymar’s provisional inclusion offers a boost, the outlook is far less positive for Estêvão Willian. The young star is now expected to miss the World Cup after medical assessments by the Brazilian federation concluded he will not recover in time.

Despite choosing conservative rehabilitation at SE Palmeiras instead of surgery in a bid to stay available, the timeline appears too tight. Reports indicate he would not be fit even for the knockout rounds, making his exclusion from Ancelotti’s final squad increasingly inevitable. His effort to delay surgery showed his determination, but Brazil’s coaching staff now accept that recovery will come too late.

Opportunities Open for New Faces

With Estêvao sidelined, several domestic players are now pushing for a late place in the squad. Pedro Guilherme of CR Flamengo has emerged as a serious option, despite not featuring regularly in recent matches. Ancelotti has previously spoken positively about the striker, and his inclusion is now under serious consideration.

Competition remains fierce in midfield and attacking positions. Andrey Santos, now at Chelsea F.C., faces a difficult path after a challenging year in England, with experienced names such as Casemiro, Bruno Guimarães and Lucas Paquetá currently ahead of him. If Andrey misses out, the vacancy could benefit Rayan Vitor Simplicio Rocha, who impressed during the March international window and is seen as a natural replacement on the right wing.

Countdown to the Final Announcement

Submitting the provisional 55-man list is part of FIFA’s standard process, but the decisive moment is fast approaching. Teams have until June 11 to make changes in the event of injuries, but the final 26-player squad must come from this original pool. Once the tournament begins, only limited changes are allowed, and usually only under strict medical approval.

Brazil are set to reveal their final squad on May 18 at the Museum of Tomorrow in Rio de Janeiro. The squad will then gather at Granja Comary on May 27, though players involved in the UEFA Champions League Final will join later. The Selecao begin their campaign against Morocco national football team in New Jersey on June 13, after warm-up matches against Panama national football team and Egypt national football team.