The Shifting Sands of the F1 Calendar
As the **F1** calendar barrels towards its climax, a cloud of geopolitical instability casts a long shadow over the final two scheduled races in the Middle East. While **Qatar** and **Abu Dhabi** hold the coveted spots for the **2026 season** finale, **F1**'s leadership isn't leaving anything to chance. The sport is proactively developing a Plan B to safeguard the conclusion of what promises to be an thrilling championship.
The increasing unrest in the region has forced **F1** to consider alternative scenarios. Despite the significant financial allure of the Middle Eastern Grands Prix, the paramount concern is delivering a complete and secure season for teams, fans, and partners.
Imola's Stealthy Preparations: F1 Foots the Bill
In a decisive move behind the scenes, the historic **Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari** in **Imola**, Italy, has been given the green light to begin preparations for a potential season-ending Grand Prix. This includes the substantial task of constructing temporary grandstands and all necessary infrastructure, normally a massive financial undertaking for any circuit.
Crucially, **Formula 1** itself is covering all the associated costs and risks. This means **Imola** faces zero financial exposure, whether the race goes ahead or not. This unprecedented arrangement underscores **F1**'s determination to have a viable backup ready, demonstrating the lengths the organization will go to protect its schedule.
The Mid-October Showdown: Teams Await Clarity
Initially, **F1** CEO **Stefano Domenicali** aimed for a decision by mid-September. However, the dynamic geopolitical landscape has pushed that timeline, with team principals now pointing to mid-October as the new target for definitive clarity. Logistically, this timeframe is still manageable, provided **Imola** maintains its state of readiness.
Team bosses, while acknowledging the challenges, appear confident in **F1**'s ability to adapt. **Haas** team principal **Ayao Komatsu** highlighted the need for alternative arrangements for European motorhome staff, but expressed collective readiness: “I'm sure we all, as a family, community, will make sure if we have to do that, that will happen.”
**Audi** team principal **Mattia Binotto** echoed this sentiment, confirming the mid-October deadline. He also calmly dismissed concerns about potential cold temperatures in **Imola** in December, noting they are “hotter than Las Vegas by the time we've got the race in Las Vegas,” shifting focus to organizational and logistical solutions.
Why the Delay? The Financial Equation
**Formula 1**'s reluctance to make a swift call is understandable when considering the significant financial contributions from its Middle Eastern hosts. These races are hugely lucrative, forming a vital part of the sport's commercial model. Balancing these financial interests with the need for a secure and stable calendar is a complex challenge, making the patience exercised by **FOM** a calculated gamble. The ongoing preparations at **Imola** act as the ultimate insurance policy.







